Highs and Lows of Microsoft
Microsoft brought the computing to the common person. Heavy use of graphical icons (GUI) has made it simple and by exploiting the visible cues brought it into the applications which are very useful. It has obliterated the type writers out of existence and rendered them as relics through its product Microsoft word. I remember how cumbersome it was to use the type writer. Its output was like the live performance of an artist in which there are no retakes. Now one can store the file and edit it to no ends till the owner is satisfied. One can edit, add and remove the text. In fact whole suite of Microsoft office forms the backbone of office chores these days.
On the other hand, working in the DOS operating system was not easy and required good memory to remember the commands to access the files and applications were few. The very fact that Windows OS has made the use of computer very easy has also given the hackers easy access to exploit and continuously play the deadly games with the Windows based computing by spreading viruses.
Microsoft has seen many high and many low phases in its life. In fact now it has become an underdog from top dog. Many formidable competitors like Apple and Google have surged forward and closing on the Microsoft. Here is a list of highs and lows:
1. MS-DOS : Although termed as Dirty Operating System by rivals, this was the path breaking step and also the beginning of software licensing.
2. Ms-Office: Flagship of office products like Word, Excel and Powerpoint is inseparable part of any office work. The product is improving with each new version.
3. Windows 95: First standalone Windows OS. It is the foundation on which all the successive versions were built.
4. Windows XP: Best loved version of Windows. Stable and worked using minimum resources of memory and data storage device.
1. Windows Vista: Poorest performer. Bloatware, hogged large resources. Very poor support for the hardware drivers. Very mention of it made the users livid.
2. Windows ME: People have even forgotten this and many even don’t know this ever existed. It lasted just one year.
3. Zune: Pitted against the iPod of Apple. But the effort came too late and Apple is ahead by 4-5 years.
Ranking vis-a-vis other players as per fortune 500
Microsoft : 35
Facebook : 482
Revenue 2013 ($ billions)
Microsoft : 78
Facebook : 8
Market Cap ($ billions)
Microsoft : 312
Facebook : 153
Profit 2013 ($ billions)
Microsoft : 22
Facebook : 1.5