Infinity: Is it the New Chilli King?
Records in today’s world do not remain unbeaten for long. This may be because the communication has become almost instant and in the olden times things existed but were not known to man. The hottest chilli of the world record was held by India’s “Bhoot Jolokia” till a few days back. Now the news has come of another variety of chilli which has been found to be even hotter than the Indian king.
And the surprising thing is that it has been found in the England which is so much cooler than India which has temperate to extreme climates and where the consumption of chillies is very low as compared to India, Thailand and Latin American countries. The chilli has been christened as “Infinity” because of its very long effects. It is measured 1,067,286 on the Scoville Scale which is used for measuring the heat of peppers, the family to which the chillies belong. Bhoot Jolokia, the former record-holder, measures 1,041,427 on this scale. The Mexican pepper known as Jalapeno measure just 2,500 to 5,000. Indian army uses the Jolokia to make weapon grade pepper spray which is 2,000,000 on the scale.
Woody Woods, 37, of Fire Foods in Grantham Linc, who grows this chilli, said: “It is like eating red-hot coal. He and his friend Matt Simpson, 38, bred the Infinity in a greenhouse by crossing existing varieties and hope to market the seeds later this year.
Indian chilli is grown in the North East states like Assam, Manipur, Nagaland and Sylhet district of Bangladesh. In Nagaland it is also called “Naga Jolokia”. The climate seems to play a great role in the degree of hotness of Indian Chilli. The sting is reduced dramatically when the same chilli was grown in Gwalior.
In 2006 the Dorset Naga, a chilli grown in Dorset, claimed to be the hottest in the world, measuring a Scoville heat unit of 876,000.
Here is the Scolville heat unit (SHU) list of some chillies world over in the increasing order.
1. Bell Pepper : SHU Nil
2. Pimento, Peperoncini: 100-500 SHU
4. Jalapeno Pepper, Guajillo pepper, New Mexican varieties of Anaheim pepper, Paprika: 2,500–8,000 SHU
5. Serrano Pepper, some Chipotle peppers: 8000-23000 SHU
6. Cayenne Pepper, Ají pepper, Tabasco pepper, some Chipotle peppers: 23000-50000 SHU
8. Guntur Chilli, Habanero chili, Scotch Bonnet Pepper,Datil pepper, Rocoto, African Birdseye, Madame Jeanette, Jamaican Hot Pepper: 100-350K
9. Red Savina Habanero: 350,000–580,000 SHU
10. Naga Jolokia (Ghost Pepper):855,000–1,041,427 SHU
11. Infinity :1,067,286 SHU, the new King