The year 1840 marked the year of progress and prosperity.
- Great Indian Peninsular Railway completed first sod work in 1850 and completed the rails laying work in 1853.
- First bank of Bombay was opened in 1840.
- First tramway was opened in 1860 in Colaba.
- In 1857 first spinning and weaving mill started to work.
- In 1869, the Crawfors Market was thrown open to public.
- Tulsi water works were completed in 1879, Powai water works in 1889 and Tansa in 1891-92.
- Between 1860 to 1890 great influx of migrant labours took place and was held mainly responsible for city congestion and diseases like plague.